Health checkups by ASTF
Since 2003, the ASTF, occupational medicine of the Tertiary and Financial sectors, has been offering health checkups to financial sector employees. The results are conclusive.
Prevention Ckeck-up, what does this involve ?
As a rule our checkups include :
- A blood test to determine the blood count (red, white corpuscles etc), ferritin, a lipid balance (fatty substances in the blood) including in particular cholesterol, the kidney function, the renal function (liver), glycaemia (sugar) and the thyroid gland function. After the age of 40 the PSA (prostatic antigens) are also measured for men.
- A urine examination.
- A search for blood in the stool (to detect cancer of the colon).
- A calculation of the BMI (body mass index) and a measurement of the body fat and degree of hydration of the organism (Bodycheck).
- Audiometry (measurement of the hearing).
- Spirometry, measurement of the lung functions and capacity (early detection of incipient chronic bronchitis, emphysema, asthma, fibrosis).
- Measurement of visual acuity, a test of colour vision and the field of vision.
- Measurement of eye tension (to detect glaucoma).
- A basic electrocardiogram.
- An osteodensitometry test (to detect osteoporosis) for women over the age of 40.
- A case history and full clinical examination (blood pressure, ear-nose-throat, cardiovascular etc.).
- Discussion of the results with the physician and personalised health advice, together with documentation on specific problems encountered.
- Determination of the cardiovascular risk.
- If necessary, referral to a specialist.
Forwarding to the employee of a full medical report with a copy of the results for the general practitioner.
This is the basic check-up, which we advise as a strict minimum.
Practical arrangements : the patient comes to our consulting rooms on an empty stomach in the morning, bringing his completed medical questionnaire. A blood test is taken after which breakfast is served. All of the tests listed above will then be performed and the patient will attend a consultation with the doctor. The whole procedure will take around two hours.
These checkups should preferably take place once every three years, depending on the patient’s age.
On request, further examinations with a specialist are also offered, such as an effort test, cardiac and/or carotid echo-doppler, coloscopy, gastroscopy, abdominal ultrasound test.
Out of a sample of 459 patients taken at random, 293 health problems were detected. In 1% of cases this involved the detection of cancer but the biggest number of cases involved cardiovascular risk factors : 45% of the problems detected related to the heart, 8% to endocrinology, mainly diabetes and the thyroid gland, both of which are risk factors for cardiovascular diseases. Then there were 8% of cases of overweight (this only refers to excess weight of which the patients were not already aware) which also has an adverse influence on the cardiovascular system.
All these pathologies can be improved if not cured by life hygiene or appropriate treatment. Morbidity and mortality caused by cardiovascular disease of the person concerned can often be substantially reduced.
In conclusion : health at all costs
At a time when obesity and the accompanying disorders such as hypertension, hypercholesterolemia an diabetes have been declared public enemy Number One, action is vital ; everyone must be made aware of his or her state of health and of
the fact that he/she can personally exert an active and positive influence upon that state of health.
Faced with a constantly aging population we must ensure the best possible monitoring to prevent the collapse of our social system.
When the health checkup is performed, we devote a large part of the consultation to an explanation of preventive hygiene and dietary measures and motivation to take physical exercise
In this way a good many patients improve their condition without having to use pharmaceutical substances.
If you are interested in our checkups please download the document “Check-up” on this page or contact us.